2_13_04 went on my first errand with Mary Burnham. We got two estimates on her damaged car and attempted an oil change.
went to drop of a zip disk and library book, get some eye-glasses, and look at a room wih Cory Bernat
did Laundry with Natasha.
Errands with Merideth Taluson.
Send an e-mail if you’d like to be a part of this sensation!
That’s Doug the mule trainer and Audrey the mule (right) whom will accompany me on my errands!!
On the morning of June 12, 2004, San Francisco will continue to live up to its reputation as the most expressive and experimental place on earth. I will complete my errands atop a pack mule in an effort to complete Phase II of my errand feasibility study. I will drop off my dry cleaning, process film, make photocopies, return some things to REI, do my grocery shopping, and make a deposit at the bank – all the while riding a pack mule and being escorted by a bicycle cop.
On June 12th, 2004 from 10am – 2:30pm, Audrey the mule, Hail the donkey, Doug the trainer, me, and the motorbike cop will be running errands. We will start at my house, located at 1343 McAllister at Steiner, then follow the rest of the route:
We will go down Mcallister to Fillmore,
LEFT on Fillmore,
LEFT on Herman
RIGHT on Church
LEFT on Market,
RIGHT on 12th street
LEFT on mission
RIGHT on 11th street
LEFT on Bryant
RIGHT on 9th going toward civic center
RIGHT on Larkin
LEFT on Hayes
RIGHT on Steiner
LEFT on McAllister
The Process to get this together:
Initially, I contacted at least 12 different city departments about riding a pack mule through San Francisco to do my errands. Below are the responses I got back. Below them is a solution I finally reached.
From: “sfpd public affairs”
Date: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:40:57 AM US/Pacific
Subject: Re: Public input for Police
check our website and goto the …how do i get a permit area or contact the
permits unit at 415-553-1115
—– Original Message —–
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 12:51 AM
Subject: Public input for Police
I need to ride a pack mule through SOMA to Mcallister at Steiner. Where do
I get the necessary permit to do this?
Thanks for your inquiry. A pack mule, huh? I’m not sure where you’d get
the necessary permit, but I would try either the Department of Parking &
Traffic or the Police Department in whatever precinct(s) you’ll be riding
for Grants for the Arts
Submitted on: 2/23/2004 12:50:23 AM
comments: Good Day,
I need to ride a pack mule through SOMA to Mcallister at Steiner in order
to complete a video project. Where do I get the necessary permit to do
The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department has no jurisdiction over
this matter. I would contact the San Francisco Police Department.
City and County of San Francisco
Recreation and Parks Department
Submitted on: 2/23/2004 12:53:31 AM
comments: Good Day,
I need to ride a pack mule through SOMA to Mcallister at Steiner. Where do
I get the necessary permit to do this?
Thank you for contacting SFGOV Online Services. This support is intended
for users of the transactional services provided by SFGOV Online Services.
SFGOV Online Services facilitates internet payments for city and county
departments and agencies. Please visit
http://www.sfgov.org/site/mainpages_index.asp?id=7695 for a directory of
City and County Departments and Agencies.
SFGOV Online Services
I am new to the city. Can you please tell me the laws regarding riding
a pack mule through the city. I need one to do my errands, it is in my
religion – do I need to obtain a permit from the city? i cannot walk
and i cannot ride in motorized vehicles.
Our library director forwarded your question to me for an answer.
The most likely source for the answer is with the San Francisco Film and
Video Arts Commission. Here’s how to contact them:
1. Log on to the City website: http://www.sfgov.org
2. On the left of the page click on “Mayor’s Office.”
3. On the right of this page click on “Offices under the Mayor.”
4. Scroll down the list to “Film and Video Arts Commission,” click on
‘website’ (end of the paragraph).
5. This is the SF Film Commission website. Click on “services” on the
6. This is the page titled “Services offered by the Film Commission.”
These people should be able to tell you if you also need a permit from the
Hope this helps!
GERALD H. CLARK
San Francisco Law Library
401 Van Ness Ave., Rm 401
San Francisco, CA 94102
I talked to Cindy Shamban in Traffic Engineering. She referred me to a few different people.
Depart of Public Health – Sheldon Lew (special events) 252-3828. Cindy said he may have some answers about riding around on a Mule. I’ve yet to call.
I immediately called Sergeant George Carrington of the SFPD at 415.553.9764. He was very helpful and took kindly to the project. He considered the project an “Industrial Project,” meaning that it would be used for “business” purposes in that I would show others to generate interest in myself. He sounded very optimistic and said that he was going to do a feasibility study about riding a mule through the city. He is the big wig, so if he gives it the thumbs up, in my opinion it’s almost in the bag.
I would have to hire a police escort on a bike and make sure there were no major parades or festivals the day of my mule riding. The bike cop costs $70/hr for a 4 hr. minimum. He would stop traffic, help in dealing with the public, and make sure all is safe. He’d probably get a nice tan as well.
Vikki from Animal Care and Control called on 2/24 and said the Mule would not be a problem as long as I have the necessary permits through SFPD. She said to call though and notify her of the date and route – 415.554.9402.
I have much confidence that this will happen, but keep your fingers crossed just in case. I’m shooting for June or July.
I just got a call from Sergeant George Carrington. I can get the permits for riding a mule through the city from the SF Film & Video Arts Commision!!!!!!! I’m sure this project will not come cheap as I need a police escort, permits, a pack mule, and a video crew. It’s well worth it though! If anyone has a hot lead on a pack mule – let me know as my source dropped out. I called the American Mule Association to find a mule in the area. I talked with Marsha Arthur, email@example.com, who works there and she told me 1) you don’t ride the mule, you lead it. Who knew? It carries the packs, not the people. 2) She said that there is a club in the bay area – California donkey and mule association – and Doug and Paula jones (BOD) lead it up. She had me contact them at 650.879.0711 and at Dougj@mccue.com. There are offices Pescadero or Saratoga. Doug has a pack mule, but I’ve yet to talk with him in person. Marsha warned me that the Mule Show Season starts soon – animals start getting packed up and heading into the backcountry – so I better secure the dates. There is a Mule Show in May at Clovis,CA. The biggest is the “Bishop Mule Days” (parade), may 26th – 30th. Marsha said that parade mules can be the best because they are used to people and traffic – she said “you can’t just take mountain mules into the city.” Again, cross your fingers.
Doug Jones comes through! I have a mule that is traffic safe, and her name is Audrey. She comes all the way from the Pescadero area with all the trimmins’ – traditional packing gear, a lead, and snacks. I’m shooting for Sunday May 23rd. Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed.
Pushed date to June 12. Finalized.
Just in case you were interested, here is a log of all the logged trades. enjoy, some of these are hysterical.
- Memory card, gloves, fan for mix tape. this place is right on. the trading post rules! Geno
- Traded keychain and box of organic peppermints for cool patch. thanks! Tim N.
- Clove cigarette for gum and velcro tie. Marc Horowitz
- 2 yellow picks for 2 rolls of film.
- lighter for spray adhesive
- I gave old hairy card. I took some girly stickers.
- One good luck Buddhist bracelet for organic peppermints.
- Wow! CD MP3 player, hella art supplies in exchange for survival book, round glass, silver base, chomsky pin. Acer laptop w/ bag in exchange for 3 books: psyhi-pet, comic-bus, tao meow, old binoculars, “Barrell o’ Monkeys” keychain, Jimmy Buffet CD, RF modulator, “Bottom Line” Book, “American Art” Book, blue goblet, picture frame, “Bio Feed Back” Card, blue vase. Juggler aka Fidel.
- Tea Pot for Velcro Strap.
- Left lots-o-stuff. 2 hats, 9 books, coffee maker, dish rack, binoculars, Polaroid film, American flag, FAKE! lapis necklace, Magnet Toy, pickled butts, giant cd rack, mombasa magic – baby!, Irish T-Shirt, squeeze pig, candle holder. Took Blue Goblet
- Gave Jedi book, psychology book, 2 robot toys, brown leather cuff wristband, 2 plastic toys. Took sign, foldy fan, tibet almond stick. Why go home? DVD. love.
- Took a bed netting for a wallet. Thank you. love.
- hankerchief for hiphop.
- gave lighter, Kools, 2 bucks green for stress test card, leather band, and a bear necklace. spykyu
- trading post rules!
- Harmon Karon computer speakers, rca cord, toy binoculars, DD comic. Juggler.
- 4 magnetic sculptures for lousy CD.
- cigarette 4 a small lavender vase. Fuck Yeah. love.
- swapped invaluable pipe tool for much needed scotch guard. Sproing.
- Handful of ginger candy & mix cd for a pipe tool!
- page of psycho bunny drawings 4 Eddie The Hat Pin! love. love. love. (p.s. lauran is the prettiest girl ever!)
- Lush Bath Bomb (Sicilian – not available in stores) for Iron Chef Calendar. xo Janet.
- 5 computer program books 4 the Psycho bunny drawings & American Art Book, leather satchel & Porcelain baby doll 4 the scootergirl comic and ring tree.
- RUSTED METAL HANDLE 4 PLASTIC CLEAR GLOBE
- ASIAN DOLL FOR ROBOTAL DOLL
- “HOUSING IS A RIGHT, NOT A PRIVILEGE” PEN FOR PIG SQUEEZE
- Traded “Ready Made” Magazine, Repressive Behavior, and Mineshaft for Business Lady CD
- Angel Wings (copper and feather) for ash tray
- ceramic bowl, abalone earrings for “xaul” sticker
- traded can of tuna for canvas
- TRUNK FOR TEA KETTLE. THANKS! JON B.
- black paper & field guide to grunions for trunk
- earplugs 4 fuses. Jeremy
- UN Game, Handi-Tak, Ceramic Pen, Thimble
- I got boots, I.O.U. Something. Kazeem
- bandaids for gum
- bobby pins for daredevil comic
- pirate pin, 2 pulling fireworks, and a whammy bar (for electric guitar) exchanged for cigarette holder.
- traded piece of fabricated medal for shells & jewelry
- complete set of oil pastels for skull pin
- 2 guitar picks for purple lighter. Cassidy
- bagels 4 meditating dog statue
- flag, pendant, and box for SF key chain and some new skate decks. I’ll bring tomorrow. OK.
- I brought em (skate decks) and somebody got em. Kaman.
- oil pastels for watch. Kaman.
- took thimble left chips
- chocolate, pen, 1 litre bottle of water for Orville redenbacher popcorn, used popcorn, and stinky soggy tortilla chips
- Danzig Iron on patch and wireless computer keyboard (will bring tomorrow) and anything else cool I can find for that skate deck! Cassidy
- secret whispers, thirty somethings, tapes, orange & black hair accessories, small bluish/ green vase for 25 cents. Claudia.
- compass for pencil sharpener. Jeremy
- vintage bangels for earrings and butterfly pin. Pati.
- semi new umbrella for Polaroid film. Aima.
- I gave a crayon, pin, and toenail clippers for 3 pens…awesome…oops, gave back one pen and took back crayon.
- pirate hat for chest i took about a week ago
- gave caffeine mints for cheap glasses…mmm caffeine
- gave “$ for schools not war” pin for “metamorphisis of plants” book
- motorola starter phone for blank dvd, blank cd, unused chapstick. more to come
- tampon for little squishy dog. mexicali nose napkin as bonus – it’s neat!!!
- dental floss for batman
- henna (?) for toe clippers
- marker for CD of XX
- Ibu Plus for SF Keychain
- 6 berets for 2 parliament lights. Devin.
- fake flower for cigarette
- wedding photo her dads kimono in the frame for the
pirate hatcactus. Charlie C and Keiko K.
- 1 retro Atari Game, 2 small cars, and 1 picture of bailey for 1 cartoon poster and 1 goblinko (?) book.
- wirenut 4 guitar pick
- 1 jar of dust for 3 dogs (squishy)
- 1 pez dispenser for 7 lighters
- 1 glass tongue and hair weave (triple) for Kawasaki mini
- cell phone charger for cell phone charger (car edition)
- camera for binoculars
- dictionary for picture of children
- change purse from chinatown for “Secret Whispers” Vol. II Erotica, man whispering erotica for women. Pat.
- drawing for a pin
- 2 books ” girl in thyaimon” (?) & “small is beautiful” for mini bowling set.
- 2 CDs for an Emily Nightmare Journal
- I got a Jack Daniel’s key chain for my guess who pin. love ilysea
- bone fragment, maybe a leg for a pirate hat. Arrgh!
- left a frame and printing ink. took marker and Diet Coke.
- left a R. Heinlein book. took atom & his package CD.
- 8pm. left drawing. kevin.
- 9:30pm. took book toward a psychological view for butterfly necklace. Chon Renae.
- took wires left wave cap
- left naked man took abalone shell
- left razor took soap bar
- left lighter took bell
- left Camilla book took big fun wig
- brought a bunch of rings took nudie cards
- leaving: 1 dog bobby head, 2 hard drive cases; took bobby pins, star pen, and UN game.
- took 1 book, 2 rings, and 1 pouch; left $1.00
- took “pro Rock n’ Roll” (will bring something tomorrow)
- left really big blue lighter and a can of coke
- took green umbrella for “Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” by Mr. James Joyce
- matches and a hair clip for a picture frame
- left emergency survival blanket and one bone (classic rock that rocks) window decal. took websters dictionary.
- one half bag salt & vinegar chips and one sharpie for one yellow t-shirt
- 1 burning man cup for one book on Native Americans
- sparkly barrette for “red comes now” sticker
- a lighter for a butterfly necklace
- gave Cyrano de Bergerai
- took PHP Book, gave key chain.
- sketchbook for allergy pill
- GoGo Passion Energy Drink for 3 books (I’ll bring more)
- 1 apple core necklace, 2 pottery pieces, 2 jelly bracelets, 1 “keep bugs alive” drawing, 1 button w/ guy on it, and 1 desecata CD –for– 1 bottle of marbles, 2 93′ bottles o’ coke, 1 brown pager, 1 calculator, 1 bar of giraffe soap, 1 bike light, 1 jewelry box full of stuff, and 1 camera.
- left desk paper organize thing and Sony video 8 deck. took bike light.
- left bud took V8
- trendy sunglasses for energy drink. Cassidy
- paint and letter thing for future presence/ plants (?)
- left: psych. green leather jewelry box, ugly “amethyst” set, “Art Lessons” book, lil brown & gold jewelry box. took: all da clothes 4 da clothing swap. Stef K. Fanny.
- met up w/ fellow stylemavens. gave: denim blue shirt “NO IRON BIG MAC”. took: 1 black picture frame. Ayden B. Thanx Tara, Jenna et al.
- pens, highlighters and clips for a stamp…I need to come back with more tradeables next time!
- amethyst necklace for gypsy bracelet.
- Locket for play to be named later
- left Tom Robbins book
- Left 1 pair of Stevie Williams D.C. Pro Model Shoes – Size 10 1/2 for Cats with attitude book.
- I took “Another Roadside Attraction” book by Tom Robbins. I left 3 regular absorbency feminine hygiene sanitary pads with wings…and a small black pouch I made out of gaffers tape.
- pen for calculator
- 2 books for 1 book
- Last Day of April. You know when the table moved was the first time I saw the log. The log and the move. At the same time was too much change for me at one time. I feel like I have a very special relationship with the trading table cause I loved it from the get go. Most of there are pieces if you know what I mean – Tea bags sewn together, the used paper from the tea bags. Recycle yourself. The puzzle pieces strung together to form a snake sort of. Well then, one day, the trading table, I have put, taken, and reput probably 25-30 items. So I took today – 1 box, 1 red paper cup. All of items I put on table are gone. I’m back again, see you soon.
- MayDay! MayDay! left : 3 floating hibiscus candles, 1teddy bear candle, 1 pink flamingo. took: handful of cats n marbles, cell phone holster, glass blob.
- trade 2 cigs for 1 peoples elbo patch
- Mama Buzz coffee card for 2 smokes.
- 3 cigs for Jonathon Livingston “Seagull”
- army figure for two stickers
- hair clip for stickers
- took lion covered notebook, will bring something back next time
- flip-flop keychain for lpa press/fear press catalogs
- took: “kill the Humans” pin. I’ll bring something next time.
- brought 1 People’s Park button 4 Food Not Bombs Button
- fat cap fer dewars whiskey pin
- took: sticker, go read comics. left: colored stamp pad.
- cig for quarter
- left blue glass
- left blue clip and spray can of adhesive.
- L: lighter. T: Spray adhesive.
- FNB button for lemonhead & official doctor tongue depressor
- cigs for gum
- stamp pad, sewing kit, seashell for purple oen, rave ring, rare popsicle stick, 2 stickers, 2 small starburst candy.
- left: blue cross button. took: candle.
- left: blue lighter. took: weird photo.
- took: book – everybody was dying(?) for dancing. left: rainbow flag and VIP pass.
- left: 2 packets of Mexican Hot Chocolate, 1 mystery CD. took: pink flower ring (?) and 2 barrettes. Tim & Minnie.
- rubberband, metal plate (?), emergency blanket (?), plastic toothbrush blue (?)
- left: after sex mints, 8-ball paper weight , santa hat for dino, canned pickle. took: horseshoe pendant, kung fu gerbil, cyrano book. Tom.
- took: Beastie Boys Sticker. Left: Harputs – Adidas classics business card & man bludgeared by large heart card.
- took: book of matches, come enjoy the mission card, and the empress.
- people’s park buttons. take fish of wood. AOD.
- 11:15am, Tues. “people’s park” pin for matches. from Baltimore, MO.
- falafel burger recipe for a button.
- poem “hand” and hemp bracelet for action figure sticker
- “the raped” button for a fire alarm. What, it’s the same! and a “jewdriver” button because I felt badly.
- left: lamp w/ drawers and lightbulb (it works!), lantern w/ extra french print candles. took: jew driver (don’t feel bad), brown scarf, green car, blue car – cool!
- left: espresso machine, computer printer, paperweight, little glass bowl, fabric & fur, lampshade. took: cigarette, 8 ball paperweight, 2 books, 4 action figures, lizard, fish purse.
- took: fingerboard. left: strange pen.